Last Updated June 2013
(1) shop in our Costco Wholesale warehouses anywhere in the world or
(2) use our website, www.costco.com.tw.
COSTCO'S COMMITMENT TO PRIVACY
We respect your right to privacy. We do not sell, rent, share or disclose personal information to third parties without your prior consent, except in the circumstances described in this Privacy Statement. In addition, your ability to make informed choices about the uses of your information is important to us. This privacy statement explains our policy regarding the collection, process, use, disclosure and protection of personal information. The links below provide detailed information about our privacy practices:
- A. WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- Personal information is information that identifies an individual or that can be reasonably associated with a specific person or entity. Personal information which we will collect includes:
- Your name, Costco membership number, photograph, contact information, the name of your business or employer if you are a business member, and other information you provide in connection with your membership application or account;
- Information about transactions at Costco, including but not limited to purchases of any products or services in our warehouse stores and related information such as merchandise returns, payments and account history;
- Information about business, legal and/or household relationships of individuals associated with a Costco membership account;
- For members who use our website, information that is automatically collected, such as the page from which you accessed www.costco.com.tw and the IP address or device ID from which the site was accessed; and
- Information received in response to surveys, questionnaires, marketing inquiries, complaints and other feedback you give us.
- Any other information which may be used to identify you or from which we can directly or indirectly determine other characteristics about you, including but not limited to your family status, educational and work experiences, social and recreational activities, household situation and physical activities.
- B. COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We collect the personal information that you provide us, such as when you:
- sign up for or renew your Costco membership;
- sign up for news or notifications of specials or other promotions;
- buy products;
- contact us for any reason;
- participate in a survey or promotion; or
- buy services (seeMember Servicesbelow)
- C. PURPOSE OF COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION BY COSTCO
- The personal information we collect is generally processed and/or used for the purpose of processing your requests or transactions, providing you with high-quality service, advising you about opportunities we think will be of interest and administering your membership account, including distribution of our own surveys and publications. For example, we may:
- Alert you about product recalls or safety issues;
- Communicate membership opportunities and programs; and
- Provide you with promotional information, such as coupons, offers and product recommendations, ("Promotional Information"). If you prefer not to receive Promotional Information from us, we make it easy for you to let us know. You may contact us at any time to decline Promotional Information (see Your Rights and Choices below). We will not send you Promotional Information electronically unless you specifically consent to receive it.
- D. USE AND SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We share information in these circumstances:
- 1. Order Fulfillment
We may provide to a third party information as necessary to fulfill an order you have placed with us. For example, we may provide your address to a shipper, and if you pay by a credit or debit card, your card number and sales transaction information are passed to the card processor and/or issuer (including their service providers which provide credit or debit card related services). However, we give suppliers, and others involved in the distribution chain only the information needed to provide you the products or services you order, and we require them to keep the information confidential and not to process and use it for other purposes. We are not responsible for any information you provide directly to these parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their practices before disclosing information directly to them.
- 2. Member Services.
We offer special products and services to our members through third parties, such as rebates, and business and consumer services ("Member Services"). We may share your name, postal address, email address and membership status, number and type ("Member Information") with these third parties as necessary to provide the requested products, offerings or services. If you prefer that we not share Member Information with third parties for marketing purposes, you can contact us at any time(seeYour Rights and Choicesbelow).
We are not responsible for any additional information you provide directly to these parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices and policies before disclosing information to them. Information you provide to third parties, may in turn be shared with us along with information about your use of the services. In some cases, these third parties may require as a condition of providing services to you that you authorize them to share information with us. If we terminate our relationship with a third party, information you provided to them may be returned to us, and we may provide that information to a new third party offering the same or similar services.
- 3. Our Affiliates and Contractors.
We may share your information with other Costco companies around the world for the purposes described in this policy. We also may contract with others to perform services on our behalf. For example, we might retain a company to process credit card payments, ship merchandise, distribute Promotional Materials, process rebates, analyze data and store data. If any of these service providers need access to your personal information, we require them to process and/or use it only to perform the services for us. We also require that they maintain the confidentiality of the information and/or return the information to us when they no longer need it.
- 4. Primary Account Holder.
Each membership account has an individual primary account holder who is authorized to designate and remove add-on members and make other account management decisions. We may disclose Personal Information that relates to activities occurring under the account to the primary account holder.
- E. OTHER USES AND DISCLOSURES
- In addition, we may process, use and/or disclose personal information in the good faith belief that we are lawfully authorized to do so, or that doing so is reasonably necessary to protect you, to comply with legal process or authorities, to respond to any claims, or to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Costco President Taiwan, Inc., our affiliates, our Members, our employees or the public. This includes disclosures of information to control or investigate fraud. Information about our Members, including personal information, may be disclosed or transferred as part of, or during negotiations of, any merger or sale of company assets or acquisition.
- F. PERIOD, AREA, TARGETS AND METHOD OF USE AND SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Given the purposes, uses and disclosures of personal information specified in Sections C, D and E above, personal information may be processed, used and/or stored (including internationally transmitted) by Costco, its affiliates and any company involved therein at any time during the time period of the existence of Costco and/or its affiliates and in any areas (including the Republic of China and other territories where relevant business is performed). Further, personal information will be processed, used and stored (including internationally transmitted) in any manner (both electronically and non-electronically) which is suitable for the above-mentioned purposes, uses and disclosures but in no event that such manner will contradict this statement and any applicable law.
- G. PROTECTION OF PERSONAL AND CREDIT CARD INFORMATION
- We have physical, administrative and technical security measures in place to protect personal information from loss, misuse or alteration while it is under our control. We are required to collect, process and maintain payment card information in accordance with the data security rules adopted by credit card companies. This means that we do not retain debit card PINs or credit card security codes, and that any time we maintain a credit card number we must limit access to it and use strong encryption to protect it.
- H. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
- To the extent you do not provide information to us, do not maintain its accuracy or do not consent to a particular use, you may be unable to receive the full benefit of your Costco membership. You also have legal rights relating to your information, such as the right to review it, copy it, correct it, supplement it, and to require us to delete it or stop collecting, processing or using personal information unless exercising such rights will damage or impair the obligations which Costco and/or its affiliates should perform in accordance with the law or if Costco no longer keeps such personal data due to the expiration of mandatory retention obligations.
- I. QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
- If you would like to(1)review, supplement or copy your information,(2) request that we discontinue collecting, processing and/ or using your information for any or all purposes,(3)request deletion of your information, or(4) if you have any questions or concerns about this privacy statement you may: